A few notes on testing

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Tue Jul 13 13:43:02 PDT 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:27:49 -0700
> "Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>
>> Matthew Burgess wrote:
>>
>> > Then I wonder how hotplug will do it's coldplugging then?  I mean
>> > the*.rc scripts currently use /proc/[bus] (where bus is USB, PCI,
>> > etc.) to determine what hardware is present on boot.
>>
>> Those same scripts know how to scan /sys/bus/pci as well, and will do
>> when /sys is present.
>
> But I thought that /sys (as the mount point for sysfs) will only be
> populated by the information exported via the device drivers.  If those
> drivers are modules, then we've got a chicken & egg problem, no?  I

I use hotplug on an initramfs; but not straight away.
I mount /proc, /sys, /dev, run udevstart.

Then you can start populating /bin, /usr, /lib; either with
symbolic links or mount -bind, or whatever you like.

Once this is set up you can exec  /sbin/init

My start up scripts will run hotplug as one of the first.

And networking and USB modules are loaded and work fine.

Chris