A few notes on testing

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 13 13:52:26 PDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:43:02 +0100
Chris Lingard <chris at stockwith.co.uk> wrote:

> Matthew Burgess wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:27:49 -0700

> >> Those same scripts know how to scan /sys/bus/pci as well, and will
> >do> when /sys is present.
> >
> > But I thought that /sys (as the mount point for sysfs) will only be
> > populated by the information exported via the device drivers.  If
> > those drivers are modules, then we've got a chicken & egg problem,
> > no?  I
>
> I use hotplug on an initramfs; but not straight away.
> I mount /proc, /sys, /dev, run udevstart.
>
> Then you can start populating /bin, /usr, /lib; either with
> symbolic links or mount -bind, or whatever you like.
>
> Once this is set up you can exec  /sbin/init
>
> My start up scripts will run hotplug as one of the first.
>
> And networking and USB modules are loaded and work fine.

It only works though because /proc is mounted, surely, and therefore
the *.rc scripts can scan /proc/[bus] to see what devices are available?
What happens if you *don't* mount /proc before hotplug starts doing it's
thing?

I realise we're getting way ahead of ourselves here - hotplug's still
just in unstable, and I'd imagine /proc/[bus] won't be deprecated until
at least the 2.7.x series which means it won't affect LFS until the
2.8.x series, but still...I like a good technical discussion, even if it
ends up demonstrating my constant need for a cluebat.

Cheers,

Matt.