My resignation

jeremy at jutley.org jeremy at jutley.org
Tue Jul 13 14:25:31 PDT 2004

> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:52:24 +0100
> Chris Lingard <chris at stockwith.co.uk> wrote:

>> I also disagree with IRC being used for design; it is ideal for
>> discussion; but proposals should be posted to hackers.
>
> Indeed, that's why I've made a conscious effort to not venture in there
> over the last week or so.  I was getting too caught up in the unstable
> side of things and agreeing to changes without realising the full impact
> that they may have.  I really feel that my place is somewhere near the
> 'testing' branch - I can see what the last stable release was, and what
> the upcoming changes to stable are.  I can also see the changes going
> into the unstable branch, but from an impartial outsiders point of view.
>  I'm not saying I'm the only one that can or should do this, merely that
> that's what I think my efforts should be concentrated on.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt.

I still do NOT understand what people have against IRC!!!!  There's no
communication medium where it's easier to talk things out.  And Matt, by
staying away from IRC, you're isolating yourself from a relatively large
contingent of the community.  I DO NOT like discussing things on Mailing
lists, because:

a) It takes too long to get feedback
b) active interaction sucks, so you can't get clarification

If the community wants to shut out IRC, let me know - I'll shut down the
IRC servers and we can go on about our merry way.

-J-