A few notes on testing

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 13 13:28:48 PDT 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:

> But I thought that /sys (as the mount point for sysfs) will only be
> populated by the information exported via the device drivers.

Device drivers, bus drivers, filesystems, device "class" drivers, etc.
Remember that the PCI bus code is itself a "driver", and exports its
information into sysfs as well, as does the USB bus driver(s) and the
IEEE-1394 driver(s).

Even with no actual _device_ drivers loaded, all available PCI devices
are listed in /sys/bus/pci with their PCI enumeration information. The
hotplug scripts can then use this to determine which modules to load, if
any are needed.