My resignation

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 13 14:38:38 PDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:25:31 -0700 (PDT)
jeremy at jutley.org wrote:

> I still do NOT understand what people have against IRC!!!!

I don't have anything against IRC at all.  It is very useful for certain
things (quickly hacking on things, proof-of-concept type stuff,
discussions regarding build problems, etc.).  But, as has been mentioned
in this thread several times it is *not* the place for me to be making
decisions regarding things to be included/excluded from the book.
Whilst I could easily rejoin you guys in LFS, at the moment I
still think it is too easy for me to get too caught up in the
speed of development that goes on in there and therfore make
decisions too quickly.  This is not an attack on either IRC,
it's members and the developers who hang out in there - it's
merely me pointing out that I *personally* find it hard to "put
the right hat on" when I'm in there.  Fear not, I'm sure I'll be
back in there in the not so distant future, I just want things
to settle down with regard to the testing branch first.

And please, whatever you do, don't shut the IRC service down -
as I said before it is invaluable for a variety of reasons, the
fact that *I* can't use it effectively yet shouldn't be any cause
for you to go on the defensive.

Best regards,

Matt.