My resignation

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 13 15:04:32 PDT 2004

jeremy at jutley.org wrote:

> I still do NOT understand what people have against IRC!!!!  There's no
> communication medium where it's easier to talk things out.  And Matt, by
> staying away from IRC, you're isolating yourself from a relatively large
> contingent of the community.  I DO NOT like discussing things on Mailing
> lists, because:
>
> a) It takes too long to get feedback
> b) active interaction sucks, so you can't get clarification
>
> If the community wants to shut out IRC, let me know - I'll shut down the
> IRC servers and we can go on about our merry way.

Howdy, that was loud.  I don't think that "against" is the right word
per-se.  I think that "appropriate by context" would be better.  I agree
completely with your points above J.  Using live real-time communication
via a medium like chat comes in handy on many fronts.  And I do not see
that the unstable team can't use the medium while it hacks stuff out
together.  I think what Matt, I and others have against IRC is a log of
the conversation/decision trail that comes from the live medium.  I know
that Kevin has brought this up before.  Unstable moves real fast (and so
it should) and decisions are made on the fly (via IRC many times), but
there is no log.  Also, you are in PST/PDT (GMT -8/7) and we have folks
on the project in Australia (GMT +10 or something).  They can't be on
IRC the same time you are!  (unless Ryan is a vampire or something -
LOL)  The mailing lists provide the means to go back and ask questions
on why a decision or direction was made on something and provide an
opportunity for our world-wide community to converse.  This makes it
slow by design.  This has nothing to do about development style or
permission or who editors are or anything.  Unstable can do whatever,
whenever, however the hackers team wants to try.  When unstable goes to
a testing branch, that is when the log of decisions and direction will
come in real handy.  The testing team will look at the book, package
order, etc and may have questions on why something was picked.  This is
appropriate for testing and very appropriate for stable.  "Why" is not
really important for unstable, because "why" is "we want to try it and
see what happens".  I know that you feel that if you are forced to use
the lists that everything will start coming up for a vote in unstable.
In unstable, there should be no vote per-se, the vote comes from hacking
on it to see if it works or not.  In testing and stable, votes and
discussion are required to get many points of view and to help with all
sorts of stuff.

Please reconsider your comment and feelings toward IRC.  Use the tool,
but when you are finished discussing something that you end up putting
in unstable, post a "here is what we did" message to -hackers.  That
will provide the log of what happened in the trail of discussion that
occurred on IRC.  Folks may post questions on the topic to get
clarification or want some understanding of the log entry.  I'll
probably do that!  I like to see and learn what you guys are up to.  You
know so much more out the guts of Linux, that your expertise is needed
to help guys like me that don't know so much out.  I would not see this
as out of the ordinary.  Folks that can't camp out on IRC will be
confused some, but that is OK.  Post an answer to the question and move
on.  If someone posts to your "info log" post that looks like a
discussion/"you should have asked first" - politely tell them to "stick
it" and say that unstable does not do that. Trail and error is
unstable's vote.

Sorry for the long ramble.  Hope I did not offend or mis-represent
anyone.  Just trying to help.

James