My resignation

Steve Prior sprior at geekster.com
Tue Jul 13 18:17:11 PDT 2004

Nathan Coulson wrote:

> Speaking in defense of IRC, the bootscripts have alot to be thankful for
> on the work of the people who usually reside in the #be-lfs channel.  [if
> I want to get something done, it seems someone there knows how to do that,
> sometimes even people willing to help me test things out].  It is a
> powerful user base.  (Especially conversations that require many back and
> forth communication to get a sense on what should be done).
>
> When I have done some work on a major project like that, I attempt to
> notify lfs-dev on the changes and get some wider feedback.

I'm mostly a lurker on LFS (my main server is running LFS 4.1), but can
say that I don't have anything against IRC as a technology and know that
it makes rapid conversations easier, it's just that it doesn't have a log
so nobody can look after the conversation has taken place to read how the
decision was made and what the tradeoffs were.  Of course I realize that an
IRC log would be tedious reading, but keeping one might resolve a lot of
objections to it.

Steve