[RFC] support PEER in ipv4-static service

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 13 18:56:31 PDT 2004

Nathan Coulson wrote:

> At the moment, I am still a bit green on iproute2 part, but it wont hurt
> to throw it in now.  [I think it has something to do with redirecting
> output from one interface to another...].

Bzzzt! Time to try again! :-)

It's for non-broadcast-capable interfaces, like tunnels (built with
iproute2, openvpn or other tools), or point-to-point interfaces (built
with ppp, HDLC or other serial-type protocols). What distinguishes all
these interfaces is that there can only be _two_ nodes on the "network",
so there is a _peer_ relationship between the two nodes, and both nodes
have to be told the two IP addresses (their end, and the peer's end).