Divorce the 3 tiers [was Re: My resignation]

Matthias B. msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Wed Jul 14 01:59:35 PDT 2004

On 13 Jul 2004 16:01:20 -0700 Richard Rogers <rprogers at seanet.com> wrote:

> That is not necessarily true. It is possible that the
> "unstable" line of development could drop a package or
> make some other incompatible change after the "testing"
> or "stable" lines have descended from it. The changes
> in testing or stable would not be relevant to unstable,
> and merges (manual or automatic) into unstable won't work.

That is not the kind of conflicts we're talking about here. We're talking
about conflicts of interest/policy that require that certain people should
not be given commit rights on a certain branch. I'm saying that unstable
editors should not necessarily have commit rights on the stable branch but
that the other way around (stable editors being allowed to commit to
unstable) is always safe.

There don't need to be 3 separate sets of committers.

> Communication and coordination so that everybody knows
> what's going on on the branches relevant to them and
> what that implies for their work is essential.

Of course.

MSB

--
Of course you can't flap your arms and fly to the moon.
After a while you run out of air to push against.