My resignation

Dan Osterrath Dan.Osterrath at gmx.de
Wed Jul 14 04:39:53 PDT 2004

Am Mittwoch, 14. Juli 2004 12:49 schrieb Matthias B.:
> > When looking for LFS at freshmeat you will find multiple LFS based
> > distros. On the other hand there are also other free projects doing the
> > same as we do.  (I.e. Gentoo)
>
> Gentoo is NOT a book. And LFS is NOT a distro.

That is the situation now. But why not merge or contribute?
LFS will become a cooking book (with multiple recipes) and Gentoo or even
Debian are results of it. LSB gives us the guideline, LFS describes how to
reach this and the distros are the result of it. There are so many open
source distibutions that all have to handle with the same problems we do.
Merging to kernel 2.6, creating a stable toolchain, building from a clean
host, creating a flexible init system...
Why not sharing this information? We do not have to reinvent the wheel
everytime. Of course there might be multiple ways to go (especially in
unstable) but therefore we have branches.