My resignation

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Wed Jul 14 05:08:14 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 21:17 -0400, Steve Prior wrote:
> Nathan Coulson wrote:
>
> > Speaking in defense of IRC, the bootscripts have alot to be thankful for
> > on the work of the people who usually reside in the #be-lfs channel.  [if
> > I want to get something done, it seems someone there knows how to do that,
> > sometimes even people willing to help me test things out].  It is a
> > powerful user base.  (Especially conversations that require many back and
> > forth communication to get a sense on what should be done).
> >
> > When I have done some work on a major project like that, I attempt to
> > notify lfs-dev on the changes and get some wider feedback.
>
> I'm mostly a lurker on LFS (my main server is running LFS 4.1), but can
> say that I don't have anything against IRC as a technology and know that
> it makes rapid conversations easier, it's just that it doesn't have a log
> so nobody can look after the conversation has taken place to read how the
> decision was made and what the tradeoffs were.  Of course I realize that an
> IRC log would be tedious reading, but keeping one might resolve a lot of
> objections to it.

*One* properly configured eggdrop is all it takes to solve the problems
of both time-separated one-to-one (notes module) and one-to-many
(flagnotes module) messaging, although as such it is just a more
lightweight solution to what a mailing list does.  Channel logs can
readily be placed by an eggdrop into a directory where they may be
retrieved by users with the proper flags.

--
The email address above is phony because my penis is already big enough, kthx.
   AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org (<-not an email address!)