/srv?

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Wed Jul 14 05:50:44 PDT 2004

I'd just like to know why this directory is being included at all, other
than the rather goofy paragraph in FHS 2.3 casually declaring that every
system should have it, which frankly I consider to be insufficient
justification.  Seems like a wasted inode to me.

Reasons:

1. This directory has apparently been created out of whole cloth
(meaning no distribution has ever used it before to my knowledge),
apparently to support user laziness.  Supporting user laziness is a
slippery slope to be avoided that leads to things like /Programs
and /Libraries directories.

2. Currently LFS populates this with two things... Jack and squat.

3. "[...] no program should rely on [...] data necessarily being stored
in /srv."  This justification is counter to the point of the FHS.

--
The email address above is phony because my penis is already big enough, kthx.
   AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org (<-not an email address!)