My resignation

Matthias B. msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Wed Jul 14 11:36:50 PDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:39:53 +0200 Dan Osterrath <Dan.Osterrath at gmx.de>
wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 14. Juli 2004 12:49 schrieb Matthias B.:
> > > When looking for LFS at freshmeat you will find multiple LFS based
> > > distros. On the other hand there are also other free projects doing
> > > the same as we do.  (I.e. Gentoo)
> >
> > Gentoo is NOT a book. And LFS is NOT a distro.
>
> That is the situation now. But why not merge or contribute?

Because of the complexity. A distro is complex and even the best technical
writer (and no, we don't have him here, unfortunately) can not write away
that complexity. So the educational value would suffer because an
LFS-distro-book would be too complex for most people to be understood in a
realistic timeframe. Have you ever tried to GROK a distro, to know each
and every line of each and every boot script, to know all the
configuration files to all the packages,...?

I find it very disturbing that LFS is already drifting slowly in that
direction. The boot scripts are the perfect example. From simple, easy to
understand scripts printed in the book they have transformed into a
sophisticated package of their own. They include treatment for special
cases, different configurations and I don't know what else.

A lot (most?) of the people currently working on "improving" LFS are
slowly killing it. I guarantee you that unless this is stopped there will
be a back-to-the-roots movement in a not-so-distant future. Somebody is
going to write a new LFS book and it'll start with something like this:

"Unlike the LFS book, this book focuses on giving you a detailed knowledge
of a how a Linux system works behind the scenes. For instance, instead of
giving you complex pre-packaged boot scripts, it will teach you how to
write your own boot scripts."

I'm really looking forward to reading this new LFS book.

MSB

--
Life is the ultimate cynic.