My resignation

Jeremy Huntwork jeremy at jenacon.net
Wed Jul 14 11:45:37 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 20:36 +0200, Matthias B. wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:39:53 +0200 Dan Osterrath <Dan.Osterrath at gmx.de>
> wrote:

> > > Gentoo is NOT a book. And LFS is NOT a distro.
> >
> > That is the situation now. But why not merge or contribute?
>
> Because of the complexity. A distro is complex and even the best technical
> writer (and no, we don't have him here, unfortunately) can not write away
> that complexity. So the educational value would suffer because an
> LFS-distro-book would be too complex for most people to be understood in a
> realistic timeframe. Have you ever tried to GROK a distro, to know each
> and every line of each and every boot script, to know all the
> configuration files to all the packages,...?
>
> I find it very disturbing that LFS is already drifting slowly in that
> direction. The boot scripts are the perfect example. From simple, easy to
> understand scripts printed in the book they have transformed into a
> sophisticated package of their own. They include treatment for special
> cases, different configurations and I don't know what else.
>
> A lot (most?) of the people currently working on "improving" LFS are
> slowly killing it. I guarantee you that unless this is stopped there will
> be a back-to-the-roots movement in a not-so-distant future. Somebody is
> going to write a new LFS book and it'll start with something like this:
>
> "Unlike the LFS book, this book focuses on giving you a detailed knowledge
> of a how a Linux system works behind the scenes. For instance, instead of
> giving you complex pre-packaged boot scripts, it will teach you how to
> write your own boot scripts."
>

> I'm really looking forward to reading this new LFS book.

I don't know if I agree with everything said here, but I will comment on
one point.  I never have liked the idea of the bootscripts package.  I
*do* like what you guys have made and what the bootscripts can do, and I
don't mind the *option* of using a package.  But I would have been
really nice if the book had taught me how to make my own.

That's not to say that I can't now hack the scripts, read through all of
them, learn to copy, adjust, add, etc.  But as far as education goes,
there seems to be a lot missing when you're just handed a package and
told "install this".

--
Jeremy Huntwork
http://www.jenacon.net