coldplugging & modules

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Wed Jul 14 15:47:19 PDT 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> We now want to get soundcard support up, and I happen to have a PCI
> card.  Now, the soundcard driver and the PCI bus drivers are compiled
> as modules.

CONFIG_PCI is Y or N only: a module is not an option, at least not in

Therefore, having PCI as a module isn't an issue.  I'm guessing that
what you're talking about is the reason, also (though I don't know for
sure).

However, for stuff like USB where it is possible to have the base driver
be a module, coldplugging traverses the PCI bus entries, finds one
that's a USB bus, and loads the USB module.  That starts another hotplug
event, which traverses the USB bus and loads modules for each device.

(There is also no other bus under /sys/bus that PCI would "plug into",
except maybe platform, but that looks like framebuffer stuff.)