My resignation

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 15 09:25:39 PDT 2004

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I don't agree.  There still would be too much overlap.  What differences
> do you really see between your educationalist and your functionalist
> approaches?  I see the following possibilities:

I've tried to stay out of this discussion as much as possible, but I
think a very important point is being overlooked here.

If, and only if, the LFS project is primarily "educational", then with
the release of LFS-6.0 I would think the book has achieved nearly all
the educational value it could ever have. By that I mean:

- there is a respected, reliable, repeatable build method
- the system can rebuild itself from itself
- it's using the latest stable kernel series and toolchain
- the build instructions are clear, understandable and don't generate
tons of support when people bother to actually read them :-)

My point here is this: what is going to happen in the general Linux
community after the release of LFS-6.0 that would require changes to the
book, other than minor package upgrades? Sure, there will be a 2.8
kernel at some point, but if the book is "educational", there is no need
to even consider putting that kernel into the book until some of the
major distros are using it (same as is happening with 2.6).

Personally, I think if the book is primary educational, then it has
reached a plateau and won't really have anywhere to go from here except
for pure maintenance tasks. I'm not saying I disagree with that, but I'd
  be disappointed if continued improvements that members of the LFS
community want to see couldn't be incorporated because they didn't
directly increase the educational value of the book.

If by saying that I'm saying that I think the LFS product (book or
otherwise) should continue moving in the direction of being a base
"distro" with a well-written guide to learning how to build the distro
and how it works, then so be it.