Networking config

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 15 12:36:31 PDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 07:09:15 -0700
"Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Matthew Burgess wrote:
>
> > Would you mind looking over the latest changes to the unstable &
> > testing branches with regard to the networking stuff
> > (chapter06/iproute2.html & chapter07/network.html) and related
> > bootscripts to make sure a) They're both the same and b) They're
> > both correct.  I think I've dealt with
>
> (I've only looked at testing, I presume unstable has the same content)

Yes they do - I hope :)

> chapter06/iproute2:
>
> iproute2 should be listed as "iproute2" everywhere, not a mixture of
> "IPRoute2", "IProute2", etc.

Fixed.

> "contains programs for basic networking" -> "contains programs for
> basic and advanced IPV4-based networking"

Fixed.

> The iproute2 patch is not in the patches download area at all as best
> I can tell, under any name.

I'm dealing with the related organisational issues tonight.  Patience
please - I'm sure someone will deal with it soon.

> The program removed by the patch is "arpd", not "arp".

OK, thanks.  Fixed.

> Berkeley DB has been called SleepyCat DB for quite some time now...
> should we continue referring to it as Berkeley DB? Also, why is
> "Berkeley-DB" hyphenated?

Well, I used the Berkeley name as that's what's in BLFS.  I thought it
might confuse users if we mention SleepyCat DB and then point them to
BLFS where they named it Berkeley DB.  As for the hyphen...dunno I'm
just slack I guess.  It's been removed now.

> chapter07/network.html:
>
> Remove "eth0:1" as an example interface name, iproute2 does not
> support interface aliases.

Fixed.

> Still shows NETMASK=24, needs to be PREFIX=24.

Fixed.

> "equivalent NIC (Network Interface Card)" -> "interface"... an
> interface does not have to be a NIC (two instances in this paragraph)

Fixed.

> GATEWAY: "comment out the variable entirely" -> "don't include the
> GATEWAY line in the configuration file"

Fixed.

> under /etc/resolv.conf, why is "[Your Domain Name]" in curly braces?
> I've never used those in /etc/resolv.conf

Because Jim mentioned that they were required now that iproute2 is in
the book. I'll let you two argue over it.  When you've come to an
agreement then let me know and I'll make any changes that may be
necessary.

> there are two references to "your DNS", as if the user owns or has
> access to "a DNS"... this is poor wording. Instead, "your DNS" should
> be "your assigned DNS resolver". "of the DNS most appropriate for your
> setup" should be "of the DNS resolver assigned for your use".

Fixed.

Thanks very much for your comments,

Matt.