[rfc] use ext3 instead of ext2

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 15 13:56:09 PDT 2004

Folks,

I'd *really* like this to go into 6.0.  Apologies for not mentioning it
before, but I completely forgot about it.  The basic justification for
this is it keeps us up-to-date with common usage & best-practice.  I
don't know why anyone would willingly want to use a non-journalling FS
vs. a journalling FS unless performance was absolutely critical over
data integrity (is there ever a need for that kind of trade-off?).  This
is actually quite a trivial change as far as the book instructions
go, although of course it is rather a fundamental one.

Unless this receives an overwhelmingly negative response I'll put the
changes in on Tuesday evening.  I'm away for a long weekend now, so it
gives you all a chance to contribute your thoughts on this without my
overseeing you :)

Cheers,

Matt.