[rfc] use ext3 instead of ext2

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 15 14:30:31 PDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:18:58 -0600 (MDT)
"Nathan Coulson" <conathan at conet.dyndns.org> wrote:

> I am not entirely sure about this, but this would mean we do not fsck
> / on bootup, right?

That's my understanding too.  With a journalled FS there is no need to
fsck the drive _at all_ as everything is journalled.  I _think_ that the
drive_needs_ to be mounted rw on bootup in order for the journalling
replay to work in the case of an unclean shutdown, but I'm not entirely
sure of that, so any confirmation would be appreciated.

> If so, I would like to take out the line that mounts / readonly, then
> fsck's it.

Yep.  We'd need to pass the 'rw' flag to the kernel (via grub's
'menu.lst') too, in order for it not to be mounted readonly (thanks to
Jeremy & Ronald for this info).

Apparently there might be a potential issue with udev creating files too
early as the device is rw from the get-go.  If anyone can confirm or
deny that as well your explanations would be appreciated.

Converting to an ext3 fs is as simple as passing '-j' to `mke2fs`.  '-J'
might be more useful, if anyone knows that the default journalling
parameters are not suitable for our base install.

Cheers,

Matt.