[OT]: Common vs. correct usage

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 15 15:33:52 PDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:09:43 -0500
Bruce Dubbs <bdubbs at venus.sac.accd.edu> wrote:

> > I thought replaceable items were marked with square braces ('[' and
> > ']')?
>
> This is starting to bug me.   The terms for the punctuation are braces
> {}, brackets [], and parentheses ().  Square braces is an oxymoron.
> Curly braces is redundant.

Thanks for the pointer.  I visited
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brackets to give myself a quick
lesson!  You've gotta love it when common usage starts moving so far
away from _correct_ usage so as to cause confusion/annoyance like this.
FWIW, I absolutely detest:

1) Can I _lend_ £10 _from_ you? (the correct term of course is
"borrow", unless you change "from" to "to")
2) We always _loose_ football (the correct term being "lose") - this is
becoming increasingly common, it would appear.
3) He learned me how to drive (anyone who doesn't realise that "taught"
is the correct term here needs shooting!).

I'm not sure whether things like this are down to laziness or simply
poor education (I don't think I was ever taught this stuff at school).
Either way, I personally find it both interesting and humbling when my
own inaccuaracies are highlighted - so thank you :)

Regards,

Matt.