[rfc] use ext3 instead of ext2

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Thu Jul 15 15:56:09 PDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:18:58 -0600 (MDT)
"Nathan Coulson" <conathan at conet.dyndns.org> wrote:

> I am not entirely sure about this, but this would mean we do not fsck / on
> bootup, right?
>
> If so, I would like to take out the line that mounts / readonly, then
> fsck's it.

Well theres theory and *best* practice, and theres also practice and sods law...

the theory goes:

"Write everything to a journal first, so if we lose power, we can repair the fs based on the journal."

best practise states:

"Be paranoid and check the whole disk anyway"

practise says:

"Fuck it, I'll rely on the journal"

And sods law says:

"As the disk loses power it tries to write anything in its cache to disk using the remaining rotational energy in the platters as a power source. since this is one-shot, you can garauntee that a minor earthquake jolts the disk head at that precise moment, and the porno in the drive cache just got written all over the important assignment that has to be handed in tomorrow"