iproute2 instructions

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 15 22:28:51 PDT 2004

jeremy at jutley.org wrote:

> Agree 100%!  FHS dictates that programs needed during the boot process be
> located in /bin & /sbin, not /usr - and since iproute2 binaries are used
> by the boot process, according to FHS standards, they should be done like
> this.

Yes, agreed here too. iproute2 does not install itself there by default
because it was always an "optional" package in the maintainer's eyes,
but my old RH systems that have it put it in /sbin as well, for the same
reasons that Jeremy mentions here.

Anything used in the LFS bootscripts (not the BLFS ones) should most
likely be located in /bin & /sbin, not under /usr.