[rfc] use ext3 instead of ext2

Matthias B. msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Fri Jul 16 12:41:58 PDT 2004

I think the filesystem question is a case for the following rules from my
as-yet unpublished LFS-D development guidelines:

* LFS-D should be compatible with other distros whereever reasonable.

* Where alternative packages exist that can not be installed in parallel,
  the most common alternative is to be chosen and a rationale must be
  presented.

* Popular alternatives must be mentioned at least briefly.

As a consequence of these rules we should
a) pick what we consider to be the most important distros (I think Red
Hat, SuSE, Mandrake, Debian, Gentoo)

b) determine which fs most of these distros use in the default
 installation

c) use that fs for LFS together with a rationale why it was chosen (that
would be "because it's the most commonly used for distros")

d) mention the other popular alternatives with 1 or 2 sentences.

MSB

--
Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.