[rfc] use ext3 instead of ext2

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Fri Jul 16 14:35:04 PDT 2004

Ian Molton wrote:
>> Also, let me play dumb here -- what does low-latency alleviate?
>> All that the low-latency patches do is make the kernel functions
>> give up their locks at certain predefined "OK" points, right?
>
> Basically yeah - they were just 'cleanups' to get drivers to 'do the
> right thing' and give up their locks when they werent needed.

OK.  So it does help, even with preempt -- without those patches, the
driver holding the lock would prevent other tasks from getting it, even
with a preemptible kernel.  Well, no, only with a preemptible kernel
(assuming the driver lets the lock go when the syscall is finished) --
because without preempt, it doesn't matter at all.

I think I get it now.  ;-)