LFS Boot Cd

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 22 06:54:15 PDT 2004

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm finishing up a boot cd that I've been working on for myself and for
> the convenience of a few personal friends that are interested in LFS'ing
> for the first time.  The cd is basically a LFS 5.1.1 system but also
> includes wget, lynx, reiserfsprogs, a dhcp client, all the source
> packages and patches for LFS 5.1.1, the LFS 5.1.1 book in HTML format
> and the BLFS 5.1 book in HTML.  The iso is about 310 MB (I've also
> removed all the documentation.)
>
> I'll also be branching at this point and making another iso from the
> same base but adding X, a Window Manager (haven't decided which yet, any
> suggestions?) a browser, most likely Firefox, and lastly a 2.6.7 kernel
> for use in building the LFS 6 series.
>
> I'll be making both of these available for download shortly, the first
> iso is about ready to go, just wondering if anyone is interested in them
> or has suggestions for anything else to include on the cd.
>
> Btw, there are only a few modules currently that get loaded at boot-
> time, the aic7xxx SCSI module, tulip and 3c59x. There are several other
> modules built and included, they just don't get loaded. Some drivers I
> have built into the kernel, like SCSI cd support & pcmcia. For three of
> my (very different!) systems, this is enough to get them up and running
> including a network connection.  Any other modules that (based on
> popular use) should be included?
>
> Thanks in advance for the feedback!

I would be interested in the CD if it also included libXML2, cURL,
OpenSSL and nALFS (nALFS 1.2.4 utilizes all those three packages) with
at least the LFS-5.1.1-4 profile on it.  I would also be interested in
seeing the console only version having a 2.6.x kernel (maybe selectable
at boottime?).  Are you using a framebuffer console?  Did you add TCL,
Expect and DejaGNU?  That would make a nice build cd.  I don't need X.
I think FluxBox is a nice low hardware requirement X window manager.

Thanks
James