LFS Boot Cd

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 22 07:17:51 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 08:54 -0500, James Robertson wrote:
> Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm finishing up a boot cd that I've been working on for myself and for
> > the convenience of a few personal friends that are interested in LFS'ing
> > for the first time.  The cd is basically a LFS 5.1.1 system but also
> > includes wget, lynx, reiserfsprogs, a dhcp client, all the source
> > packages and patches for LFS 5.1.1, the LFS 5.1.1 book in HTML format
> > and the BLFS 5.1 book in HTML.  The iso is about 310 MB (I've also
> > removed all the documentation.)
> >
> > I'll also be branching at this point and making another iso from the
> > same base but adding X, a Window Manager (haven't decided which yet, any
> > suggestions?) a browser, most likely Firefox, and lastly a 2.6.7 kernel
> > for use in building the LFS 6 series.
> >
> > I'll be making both of these available for download shortly, the first
> > iso is about ready to go, just wondering if anyone is interested in them
> > or has suggestions for anything else to include on the cd.
> >
> > Btw, there are only a few modules currently that get loaded at boot-
> > time, the aic7xxx SCSI module, tulip and 3c59x. There are several other
> > modules built and included, they just don't get loaded. Some drivers I
> > have built into the kernel, like SCSI cd support & pcmcia. For three of
> > my (very different!) systems, this is enough to get them up and running
> > including a network connection.  Any other modules that (based on
> > popular use) should be included?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for the feedback!
> >

> I would be interested in the CD if it also included libXML2, cURL,
> OpenSSL and nALFS (nALFS 1.2.4 utilizes all those three packages) with
> at least the LFS-5.1.1-4 profile on it.

That's a possibility. I hadn't thought of nALFS.

> I would also be interested in
> seeing the console only version having a 2.6.x kernel (maybe selectable
> at boottime?).

Definitely.  That'll probably be next.

> Are you using a framebuffer console?

Yup, with the framebuffer driver for Vesa so you can set the video to
1024x768 if your hardware supports it and you're so inclined. I usually
am. ;)

> Did you add TCL,
> Expect and DejaGNU?  That would make a nice build cd.

No. For testing purposes in the first pass of binutils, gcc & glibc?
I suppose I could...

> I don't need X.
> I think FluxBox is a nice low hardware requirement X window manager.

Thanks, I'll check out Fluxbox.  The X system will probably be a bit
later, mainly hoping to make that version for ease of reading &
compiling at the same time, and for cut & paste.

> Thanks
> James

Thank you!

--