LFS Boot Cd

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 22 09:33:24 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 16:57 +0100, Kev Buckley wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm finishing up a boot cd that I've been working on for myself and for
> > > the convenience of a few personal friends that are interested in LFS'ing
> > > for the first time....
>

> > I would be interested in the CD if it also included libXML2, cURL,
> > OpenSSL and nALFS ...
>
> I'd be interested in the CD as it is now, especially if you describe
> how you did it so I can tinker with it !

Most of the steps I used can be found in this hint:
www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/boot-cd_easy.txt
Of course, I adjusted a few things to fit my needs and wants.  Of
particular note is the linuxrc script - You might need to play with and
adjust that to suit your needs, esp. if you plan to load modules during
the boot.

> What do you use to boot it by the way ?

I used Syslinux as is mentioned in the above hint.  I like grub very
much and thought about it, but atm, Syslinux was an easy solution that
fit my needs.

> I'm aware that the latest (?) GRUB has the ability to make a bootable
> CD sector, which, as GRUB is part of LFS now, would mean, I assume,
> that everything use dto build the CD would be from within the current
> LFS package base.

I didn't even install grub on the cd, because it wasn't necessary.  The
source package is there for when you build LFS, but it's not installed.

Here's a link to the cd as it is now:
http://www.jenacon.net/bootcd/bootcd-no-X.iso

Please test it out and drop me a line if you find a bug or have any
other suggestions.  I'll be 'perfecting' this cd and will likely put out
a few versions.

Thanks!

--
Jeremy Huntwork