LFS Boot Cd

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 22 09:40:41 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 11:28 -0500, James Robertson wrote:
> Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 08:54 -0500, James Robertson wrote:
> >>I would be interested in the CD if it also included libXML2, cURL,
> >>OpenSSL and nALFS (nALFS 1.2.4 utilizes all those three packages) with
> >>at least the LFS-5.1.1-4 profile on it.
> >
> > That's a possibility. I hadn't thought of nALFS.
> >
> >>I would also be interested in
> >>seeing the console only version having a 2.6.x kernel (maybe selectable
> >>at boottime?).
> >
> > Definitely.  That'll probably be next.
> >
> >>Are you using a framebuffer console?
> >
> > Yup, with the framebuffer driver for Vesa so you can set the video to
> > 1024x768 if your hardware supports it and you're so inclined. I usually
> > am. ;)
>
> Some hardware can only handle 800x600, so this should also be a pick as
> well if possible.

Already is. :)

> >>Did you add TCL,
> >>Expect and DejaGNU?  That would make a nice build cd.
> >
> > No. For testing purposes in the first pass of binutils, gcc & glibc?
> > I suppose I could...
>
> I was thinking for the testing team to be able to use a fully functional
> test boot cd with nALFS for automation and the test suite available as
> well, yes.  That would be awesome.

Okay, working on it. Just finished compiling the 2.6.7 kernel.  I'll
test it and then look at the other packages you mentioned.  If you don't
mind helping me test this cd, I'd really appreciate it.  I could use
some input from someone with different machines (and a different
perspective.)

> >>I don't need X.
> >>I think FluxBox is a nice low hardware requirement X window manager.
> >
> > Thanks, I'll check out Fluxbox.  The X system will probably be a bit
> > later, mainly hoping to make that version for ease of reading &
> > compiling at the same time, and for cut & paste.
>
> Jeremy U is good at this X stuff.  You might ask him.

When I get to X, I'll be sure to do that, thanks.

--
Jeremy Huntwork
http://www.jenacon.net