LFS-6.0 testing make fails with "make: *** virtual memory exhausted. Stop"

Hai Zaar gmmnt at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 22 12:20:24 PDT 2004

Hi, all!

It turns out that make-3.80 has (vital for me) bug:
When you feed it with BIG makefile, it fails with
       make: *** virtual memory exhausted.  Stop
error. The error occures while it parses makefile itself, even before
starting to build any targets.

The thing means, that after compiling and installing make in chapter5, my
super-puper makefile that implemented the whole chapter5 chain just stopped
to work (since new bugged make in /tools/bin was preffered in the PATH). So
I've reinstalled make and installed it last in chain, and this way I've
completed the chain.
My host system is Fedora Core 2.

For me it happened after declraring about 200 targets (mostly using eval
functions).
I've searched various mail archives, and people that run BIG compilations on
build farms reported the same problem.

I've did not found any sane patches on the topic on make homepage
(http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/make). So what I did was to take fedora
core 2 make-3.80.src.rpm and grabbed make-3.80-cvs.patch from there.

    ../patch -i ../make-3.80-cvs.patch -N -p0
Succeded. I've rebuild make and everything worked fine.

The thing I lack and some "official" information from make developers on the
topic.