LFS-6.0 testing make fails with "make: *** virtual memoryexhausted. Stop"

Hai Zaar gmmnt at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 22 13:03:52 PDT 2004

>On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 19:20 +0000, Hai Zaar wrote:
> > Hi, all!
> >
> > It turns out that make-3.80 has (vital for me) bug:
> > When you feed it with BIG makefile, it fails with
> >        make: *** virtual memory exhausted.  Stop
> > error. The error occures while it parses makefile itself, even before
> > starting to build any targets.
> >
> > The thing means, that after compiling and installing make in chapter5,
>my
> > super-puper makefile that implemented the whole chapter5 chain just
>stopped
> > to work (since new bugged make in /tools/bin was preffered in the PATH).
>So
> > I've reinstalled make and installed it last in chain, and this way I've
> > completed the chain.
> > My host system is Fedora Core 2.
> >
> > For me it happened after declraring about 200 targets (mostly using eval
> > functions).
> > I've searched various mail archives, and people that run BIG
>compilations on
> > build farms reported the same problem.
> >
> > I've did not found any sane patches on the topic on make homepage
> > (http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/make). So what I did was to take
>fedora
> > core 2 make-3.80.src.rpm and grabbed make-3.80-cvs.patch from there.
> >
> >     ../patch -i ../make-3.80-cvs.patch -N -p0
> > Succeded. I've rebuild make and everything worked fine.
> >
> > The thing I lack and some "official" information from make developers on
>the
> > topic.
>
>Here is a patch included in the source package for depinit, I believe it
>fixes the same issue...

diff reported that pachtes are completerly different. See Fedora patched
attached.
The proglem is that I could not find any central storage for all such
packages.
The gnu make patches pages does not seem to list neither your pactch neither
mine.
(http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?group_id=71&set=custom&msort=0&report_id=100&advsrch=0&go_report=Apply&category_id=0&assigned_to=0&status_id=0&chunksz=50)

Sorry, but hotmail does support attachments when using non IE browser ( :(((
). So this is the links to Fedora make.38.src.rpm (from rpmfind), so you
look at the patch if you want:
ftp://66.93.87.38/linux/fedora/core/2/SRPMS/make-3.80-3.src.rpm

Zaar