r3963 - in trunk/bootscripts: . lfs/init.d

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 22 19:52:49 PDT 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> nathan at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
>
>> +    install --backup=numbered -m 754
>> lfs/sysconfig/network-devices/ifup
>> ${EXTDIR}/sysconfig/network-devices
>> +    install --backup=numbered -m 754
>> lfs/sysconfig/network-devices/ifdown
>> ${EXTDIR}/sysconfig/network-devices
>> +    install --backup=numbered -m 754
>> lfs/sysconfig/network-devices/services/ipv4-static
>> ${EXTDIR}/sysconfig/network-devices/services
>> +    install --backup=numbered -m 754
>> lfs/sysconfig/network-devices/services/ipv4-static-route
>> ${EXTDIR}/sysconfig/network-devices/services
>

> Hmm, I'm not sure about these last four. These are not really
> "configuration" files even though they are in a subdirectory of
> /etc/sysconfig.
>
> A case could be made for preserving the old version on a new install,
> but then we'd have to do that for all the files in /etc/rc.d/init.d as
> well to be consistent. I'd rather see the Makefile just overwrite these
> four files, but use --backup=numbered for any true "configuration" files
> that are installed.

I think this may be something that Nathan is working on based on some
off-list conversations we have been having about getting the package to
support upgrades.  I recently built out a LFS 5.1.1 stock build with the
2.0.5 scripts package.  I wanted to upgrade to the 2.1.x series (in this
case 2.1.2) to take advantage of the new goodies.  I had already
modified the 2.0.5 version scripts, so migrating to the new version was
not exactly a slam dunk.

James