r3963 - in trunk/bootscripts: . lfs/init.d

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 22 19:59:46 PDT 2004

James Robertson wrote:

> I think this may be something that Nathan is working on based on some
> off-list conversations we have been having about getting the package to
> support upgrades.  I recently built out a LFS 5.1.1 stock build with the
> 2.0.5 scripts package.  I wanted to upgrade to the 2.1.x series (in this
> case 2.1.2) to take advantage of the new goodies.  I had already
> modified the 2.0.5 version scripts, so migrating to the new version was
> not exactly a slam dunk.

It is partly that, and partly the Bugzilla entry that I put in because
my /etc/sysconfig/console file was overwritten during an upgrade.

It will be very difficult to make a "painless" upgrade for anyone who
has modified the scripts themselves. I'm not opposed to making backup
copies of the script files, but if we're going to go down that road we
really need to do it for _all_ the scripts. We also need to warn people
about these copies being made, so they can clean out their directories
if they do multiple upgrades.