r3963 - in trunk/bootscripts: . lfs/init.d

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jul 23 07:37:36 PDT 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> James Robertson wrote:
>
>> I think this may be something that Nathan is working on based on some
>> off-list conversations we have been having about getting the package
>> to support upgrades.  I recently built out a LFS 5.1.1 stock build
>> with the 2.0.5 scripts package.  I wanted to upgrade to the 2.1.x
>> series (in this case 2.1.2) to take advantage of the new goodies.  I
>> had already modified the 2.0.5 version scripts, so migrating to the
>> new version was not exactly a slam dunk.
>
> It is partly that, and partly the Bugzilla entry that I put in because
> my /etc/sysconfig/console file was overwritten during an upgrade.

I saw that.

> It will be very difficult to make a "painless" upgrade for anyone who
> has modified the scripts themselves. I'm not opposed to making backup
> copies of the script files, but if we're going to go down that road we
> really need to do it for _all_ the scripts. We also need to warn people
> about these copies being made, so they can clean out their directories
> if they do multiple upgrades.

Yea, these were some of his concerns as well and I am certainly aware
that the process probably cannot be fully automated.  Implementation was
going to be hard.  I was thinking of using patch files for the upgrade
for existing files, leaving all existing symlinks alone and then using
install to put in/pull out any new/deleted items that do not exist or
need to be deleted.  I am not sure if patch can handle what I am
thinking though.  Even if we can't script using the Makefile an upgrade
target, then at least fill out the README, create an UPGRADE file that
gives more instructions or fill in more detail in the CHANGELOG file.

James