r3963 - in trunk/bootscripts: . lfs/init.d

Nathan Coulson conathan at conet.dyndns.org
Fri Jul 23 11:47:56 PDT 2004

> Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>> James Robertson wrote:
>>
>>> I think this may be something that Nathan is working on based on some
>>> off-list conversations we have been having about getting the package
>>> to support upgrades.  I recently built out a LFS 5.1.1 stock build
>>> with the 2.0.5 scripts package.  I wanted to upgrade to the 2.1.x
>>> series (in this case 2.1.2) to take advantage of the new goodies.  I
>>> had already modified the 2.0.5 version scripts, so migrating to the
>>> new version was not exactly a slam dunk.
>>
>> It is partly that, and partly the Bugzilla entry that I put in because
>> my /etc/sysconfig/console file was overwritten during an upgrade.
>
> I saw that.
>
>> It will be very difficult to make a "painless" upgrade for anyone who
>> has modified the scripts themselves. I'm not opposed to making backup
>> copies of the script files, but if we're going to go down that road we
>> really need to do it for _all_ the scripts. We also need to warn people
>> about these copies being made, so they can clean out their directories
>> if they do multiple upgrades.
>
> Yea, these were some of his concerns as well and I am certainly aware
> that the process probably cannot be fully automated.  Implementation was
> going to be hard.  I was thinking of using patch files for the upgrade
> for existing files, leaving all existing symlinks alone and then using
> install to put in/pull out any new/deleted items that do not exist or
> need to be deleted.  I am not sure if patch can handle what I am
> thinking though.  Even if we can't script using the Makefile an upgrade
> target, then at least fill out the README, create an UPGRADE file that
> gives more instructions or fill in more detail in the CHANGELOG file.
>
> James
> --

I could make up a make uninstall, which would remove all lfs-bootscript
related files [excluding configuration],  (Probably throw in loadkeys even
if it doesnt exist), and then a make upgrade (just copies things to
rc.d/*, and reinstalls ifup/down and ipv4-static).  [easiest and most
painless solution]