LFS Boot Cd

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jul 24 04:16:43 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 00:57 -0700, wrote:
> >> don't
> >>
> >> Yea, I'll test when you get that stuff on it.  I have lots of hardware
> >> types to test on.
> >
> > Hi James,
> >
> > I've added the packages you requested and both the stable and unstable
> > nALFS profiles.  Those are both located in /root/profiles.  I put them
> > there so they can be writable as /root is mounted on a ramdisk along
> > with a few other directories.
> >
> > Let me know what you think, please.  That goes for anyone else who tries
> > this cd out... ;)  I'm sure that there will need to be some adjustments
> > with the kernels, and perhaps a few other things.
> >
> > You can find the iso here:
> > http://www.jenacon.net/bootcd/
> >
> > For obvious reasons, I'd prefer that anyone downloading this use the bz2
> > file if at all possible, but I left the unzipped iso there, too, if you
> > really need that.
> > A 350 MB iso and 200 MB zipped - not bad, I'd say!
> >
> > BTW, if this cd actually becomes useful to a number of people, I
> > wouldn't mind some help hosting it, if anyone out there has some
> > bandwidth they'd like to kill :) I don't really have a whole lot to
> > spare.
>
> Jeremy -
>
> If you want some tips on things that I found useful to include on a
> bootcd, go have a peek at my old bootcd page:
>
> http://www.jutley.org/bootcd
>
> For myself, the most important things to have on a boot cd are:
>
> All network cards compiled as modules
> The ability to connect to a network no matter what type of connectivity
> (If you notice, my CD has DHCPCD, PPP, RP-PPPoE all on it)
> A 2.6 kernel compiled with GCC 3.x (to support nptl)
> nALFS and svn clients
> X, a minimal WM (I chose fluxbox), and a web browser (I chose firefox)
> USB HID support
> An IRC client (for those inevitable times when you have problems and need
> to get some help quick).
>
> I keep saying I'm going to build a new bootcd, but haven't yet gotten
> around to it.  I'll give you a tip I found - to support the widest range
> of X setups, use the vesa X driver, and compile vesafb support in the
> kernel - almost every video card known to man supports vesafb.
>
> If you need tips, check with myself or Chris Lingard - both of us have
> some experience with setting up bootcd's.
>
> -J-

Thanks J,

You mentioned a few things there that I hadn't thought of, like the IRC
client and svn.  I'll most likely work on incorporating that stuff as
time permits.  If you would care to have a look at the cd and test it
out I'd certainly welcome any other pointers you may have. :)

--
Jeremy Huntwork
http://www.jenacon.net