new project: Hive

Ronald Hummelink maillist at hummelink.xs4all.nl
Sat Jul 24 15:58:38 PDT 2004

Hello,

Top posted cus people don't scroll down well i will write what ought to
be all the way at the bottom:

If you are an inexperienced lfs user hive in its current state is not
appropriate for you. They explain far less then lfs, and that is because
of a different view on how they want things done. Currently it would not
even build a usable system, for example: they have not included
bootscripts yet (which apparently are in development).

***************

Timothy Bauscher wrote:

>Hey guys, remember me?
>
>I am emailing the list about a new project called Hive. This is neither
>the way nor the time that I had planned, but it needs to be done before
>public opinion about Hive is shaped by controling members of your IRC
>channels rather than by your own personal experience.

As one of the controlling members of the irc business I'll properly
explain why a number of people were either asked, or forced to leave irc.
I have a rather harsh way of dealing with people who do intentional harm
to others, this ranges from punching someone in the face, ending
someone's life, or compromising someone's machine.

One of the Hive project members has purposely compromised a server (A
crime under at least the US laws) on which much of LFS stuff is hosted,
this puts the entire LFS project at a potential danger for mishaps.

Having explained my view on this I'll outline I strongly object to
people not condemning the actions done by 'someone who does intential harm'
Joining a project co-lead by said person is what I and others consider
"supporting" a person who does intentional harm.
I will judge current and future members of the hive project in a very
similar way, which is my good right, wether you agree or not.

>This is our mission statement, written in hive style:
>
>Hive is a bunch of people who are doing whatever they want to do within
>one shared XML syntax. Every profile gets a place in Hive's repository as
>long as it shares the syntax. There are tools available to render or automate
>profiles, but you can write new tools to do whatever you want. Hive is your
>playground. As long as you don't mess with the way Hive works, you'll be
>welcomed.
>
>Hive is more than a fork of LFS. It can hold forks of LFS and new projects
>that might not have anything to do with Linux at all.
>
>The following people are involved with Hive:
>
>o Roel Neefs
>o Zack Winkles
>o Timothy Bauscher
>
>The XML in our profiles is custom and simple to write.
>
>The same XML source can be used to transform a profile into HTML or shell
>scripts by our own program. A lot of work still needs to be done, such as the
>addition of some new tags to the "unstable" profile, an ncurses interface which
>combines automation and documentation (an executable book) and a re-invention
>of XSL which should make it easy to create templates that can transform our XML
>into things like makefiles and nalfs profiles.
>
>You can find html renders of hive profiles here:
>http://hive-project.org/hive/
>
>Hive uses SVN at the moment, but we might change to bitkeeper soon, especially
>if it keeps crashing:
>svn co svn://hive-project.org/home/svn/hive/trunk
>
>We're using the ecartis mailing list manager. You can subscribe to our mailing
>list by sending an email to ecartis at hive-project.org. Put "subscribe hive-discuss"
>in the subject of your message.

>We're also on IRC, though we're not so friendly there:
>hive-project.org  #hive
>
>I am sure that some of you will like hive.
>I hope that those who don't will just let us play.

It is totally inappropriate to lean back on the project you left in a
hostile way by announcing it on their development lists.
You have made clear you don't agree with how this project works already,
you should have left it in peace.

Ronald