A sad day indeed

Nick Fotopoulos weasel at beyondnormal.org
Mon Jul 26 18:06:57 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 22:36 -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> zippo wrote:
>
> > I am here to show you all what just happened. As some of you know, i was a OP in #lfs-support, and #be-lfs for several months. Today i was ejected. Why you ask? Because i wasn't willing to condemn a man, and then said i was going to show the LFS people what happened. This log has no been tampered nor changed. It's price was my ejection from the LFS project. Weather this gets my ban removed, or anything i just want you all to see what has become.
>
> I find it truly amazing that anyone would react so strongly to posting
> of a log from an IRC channel hosted on the LFS IRC server. However, was
> the channel this exchange occurred in a public one or a private one? If
> the latter, then the users of that channel have an expectation of
> privacy and any efforts to log and publicize the channel contents are a
> violation of that privacy. That does not mean that you couldn't come
> here and tell use what happened in your own words, but posting an actual
> log from a private channel would be a no-no, IMHO.
>
> However, if this channel is a public channel, then anyone who thinks
> logs from that channel should not be posted in other places should
> really rethink their opinion.

I don't know about zippo's logs but you can see mine in which a "Ronald
tantrum" got dragged across two very busy, very public support channels.

This is however not about public or private and zippo's right to post
the log.  This is about Ronald's actions, and whether they are
appropriate.  I strongly believe they are not, and that Ronald actions
warrant banning more than zippo's actions.

--
Nick Fotopoulos

"Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool."