Change to glibc build instructions -- RFC

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 27 06:11:10 PDT 2004

Thomas Beneke wrote:

> If you use "-enable-kernel=2.6.0" you will never be able to use
> precompiled software like plugins for mozilla, staroffice or Oracle.

That is not correct. --enable-kernel does not affect the application
API/ABI at all, it only affects the interface between glibc and the kernel.

--enable-oldest-abi could have the effect you are referring to. If you
build glibc with --enable-oldest-abi=2.3, for example, then you would
not be able to run any binaries that had been linked against glibc 2.2
or older. However, we are not proposing adding that to the book.