Change to glibc build instructions -- RFC

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 27 07:46:46 PDT 2004

Thomas Beneke wrote:

> You compile glibc with (kernel-)features you will never have in binaries
> compiled on older kernel versions.
> (sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/kernel-features.h)

That is correct, so those binaries compiled on older kernel versions
won't attempt to use any of those features, because they are not aware
of them.

The only negative I can see to building glibc with --enable-kernel=2.6.0
is that if you compile and link a _static_ linked application against
this glibc and then copy that binary to a system running a kernel older
than 2.6.0 the binary won't run properly (if at all).