Change to glibc build instructions -- RFC

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Tue Jul 27 09:55:35 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 02:13:52AM -0700, Jim Gifford wrote:
> Remove pt_chown removal -- This is still required by programs, don't
> know why it was removed.

What programs need it?

Doesn't the devpts filesystem mean that it's not required anymore?  I
thought devpts set up the permissions on the newly created PTY slave
devices correctly, but I could be mistaken.

Maybe programs that have statically pulled in a grantpt() function from
a system without devpts don't work, but I would think that glibc would
do the devpts detection at runtime anyway.

Actually, from the grantpt manpage:

> NOTES:
>        This is part of the Unix98 pty support, see pts(4).  Many
>        systems implement this function via a setuid helper binary
>        called  "pt_chown". With Linux devpts no such helper binary is
>        required.

Now I suppose the manpage may not be accurate, I don't know.