Change to glibc build instructions -- RFC

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Tue Jul 27 15:15:08 PDT 2004

Jim Gifford wrote:
> How many people are using Unix 98 Ptys, I think most people are.

So do I -- I have BSD PTY support disabled in my current kernel (2.6.7,
and I did the same thing with 2.6.6), and I haven't had a problem yet.

I think everything uses /dev/ptmx, grantpt, and ptsname now, which is
(AFAICT anyway) Unix98.  Which uses devpts if available.

Actually, in fs/devpts/Makefile, devpts.o is built if and only if
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS is Y (it can't be a module).  And unless
CONFIG_EMBEDDED is set, CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS is automatically Y.

It looks like on current 2.6 kernels at least, devpts.o is automatically
built unless the kernel is for an embedded system, in other words.  So
the new kernel *will* have devpts support.  (The only issue would be the
host kernel...)