Cross-lfs

Nathan Coulson conathan at conet.dyndns.org
Wed Jul 28 20:49:18 PDT 2004

> On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 19:50, Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au wrote:
>>

>> Greetings all,
>>
>> Since it seems everyone is rolling up to the lists to announce new
>> LFS-ish projects I thought I'd add to the list.
>>
>> For those not following -hackers, myself and fellow hacker Finn Thain
>> have been hammering away for a fair while now on a full cross-build
>> replacement for the ch5 toolchain build method.
>>
>> The build method has predominately been tested so far from
>> i686-pc-linux-gnu (with a few builds from sparc-sun-solaris2.9, that
>> needs more work) to other architectures.
>
> Am I correct that this is a set of scripts, as opposed to a book?  I
> would really like to see a book just like the LFS book for doing a cross
> build.  I have just started working from a version of these scripts to
> produce the text for such a book (no actual words just yet).  If anybody
> else is interested in this, or is doing this let me know.

a while back, Greg and Ryan were working on making a LFS system which did
not bring any elements from the host [known as pure lfs].

when it first started, they did alot of testing [probably script base],
and eventually wrote the plfs.txt hint, then continued on with more script
testing.

eventually it went into the LFS book.

I of course cannot speak for what Ryan is doing now, but I assume he may
welcome someone documenting what he is doing as a LFS hint.  (Unless he
had something else in mind).  [and no, I cant help]