LFS Boot Cd

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Thu Jul 29 10:11:51 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 12:01:30PM -0500, James Robertson wrote:
> OK, that makes sense, but that will effect the dual kernel nature of
> the CD as it stands today.  Can you run devfs on a 2.6 kernel?

You can, for the moment.  However, it's unmaintained code, and has bugs.
It's also been ripped out of 2.6.8-rc2 (or thereabouts) -- Greg K-H said
that udev can emulate enough of devfs now that there's no reason to keep
devfs anymore when he posted the removal patch.

That's why I moved away from it way back when I installed 2.6.0-test9
(well, because it was unmaintained and marked obsolete, but it was
marked obsolete because of udev, and lack of devfs maintenance).