LFS: Unstable and Testing

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jul 30 16:54:37 PDT 2004

Hi all,

Can someone fill me in on what the purpose of LFS unstable and testing
is? I seem to have a misconception.

I can't help but notice that every commit is done to both books. I was
under the impression that unstable was for trying out new stuff. After
it was determined that it was good and desirable for testing, it was
moved there.

I thought testing was the future next release of LFS. But the way I've
seen it going is there is no difference between testing and unstable.
Brand new stuff is going into both books at the same time.

Why have two branches, it just seems like extra work if they're both
parallel branches? Please, someone, clarify this for me. I am under
the impression that what goes into testing has been tested, is good,
and is what the community wants to see in the next release of LFS as
it has been tested in unstable and discussed, *then* moved to testing.

--
Randy