Comments for LFS-Book V6.0-testing-200407022

Scott Lemke lemkesr at uwec.edu
Fri Jul 30 15:44:22 PDT 2004

Hello,

I am pretty new to LFS, my 3rd or so build, and a capable but not guru
level Linux user and just got through the testing version of the book
and have some comments/questions that you can hopefully use to improve
the book, or set me straight.

Packages:

Less 382 doesn't exist anywhere on the less project pages, the highest
version they have is 381. I had to get 382 from the LFS site. Not too
much of a big deal, but may want to either put a note explaining where
to get it.

m4 1.4.1 doesn't exist on their project pages either, they only have
m4<insert letter here>, again had to go out to the LFS site and grab it.
A note on the different naming/location maybe in order.

grep 2.51 is still not replaced on the gnu ftp server, gone from the
days of the server compromise last year. Either a note stating to get it
from LFS or if anyone knows anyone who knows anyone with connections to
the admins of the gnu site, they might have just forgotten.

Chapter 5:

I had an issue with udev, it was my host system using a funky spot for
install, they had it in /bin instead of /usr/bin, but the udev Makefile
has it hardwired to /bin. Not a rough fix, just edit the Makefile, but
maybe a note stating that it may puke if install is not in /bin

May want to use a different font for the code sections, the accents `
and the single quotes ' look a lot alike, and to an un-accustomed sed
user can get frustrating.

When mounting the partitions, would it not be better to mount the extra
partitions, like /home, /usr, etc after the filesystem structure is
already created in chapter 6? That way if you mess up a package and it
installs into /usr instead of /tools/usr you can see it immediately.

Chapter 6:

Either add an "Now logout back to your host system" at the end of
chapter 5 or the beginning of chapter 6 to clear up the ambiguity of who
is exactly supposed to run those first commands.

Populating dev will throw up an fstab missing warning, maybe a note
saying this is normal so people might not get worried.

Grub fails the tests because of ufs2, and using the configure option
--disable-ufs2 still does nothing to fix this. Probably an upstream
issue, but I thought I would mention it here as a note saying it will
probably fail the tests on that point might be in order.

Thats all I have, I hope these comments help.

Scott Lemke