Comments for LFS-Book V6.0-testing-200407022

Jeremy Utley (-J-), LFS Staff jeremy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jul 30 21:02:12 PDT 2004

> Hello,
>
> I am pretty new to LFS, my 3rd or so build, and a capable but not guru
> level Linux user and just got through the testing version of the book
> and have some comments/questions that you can hopefully use to improve
> the book, or set me straight.
>
> Packages:
>
> Less 382 doesn't exist anywhere on the less project pages, the highest
> version they have is 381. I had to get 382 from the LFS site. Not too
> much of a big deal, but may want to either put a note explaining where
> to get it.

Same FTP site as 381 as listed on the page, they just have not updated the
page.

> m4 1.4.1 doesn't exist on their project pages either, they only have
> m4<insert letter here>, again had to go out to the LFS site and grab it.
> A note on the different naming/location maybe in order.

Same issue as above.

> grep 2.51 is still not replaced on the gnu ftp server, gone from the
> days of the server compromise last year. Either a note stating to get it
> from LFS or if anyone knows anyone who knows anyone with connections to
> the admins of the gnu site, they might have just forgotten.

As with all packages, google is your friend.  Put the package name into
google and you'll find all kinds of mirrors where you can download them.

> Chapter 5:
>
> I had an issue with udev, it was my host system using a funky spot for
> install, they had it in /bin instead of /usr/bin, but the udev Makefile
> has it hardwired to /bin. Not a rough fix, just edit the Makefile, but
> maybe a note stating that it may puke if install is not in /bin

FHS says install should be in /bin, not /usr/bin - better solution is a
symlink so install is in it's FHS-compliant place.

> May want to use a different font for the code sections, the accents `
> and the single quotes ' look a lot alike, and to an un-accustomed sed
> user can get frustrating.

I myself usually recommend copy/pasting sed expressions, especially the
more complex ones - typos are too easily made.

> When mounting the partitions, would it not be better to mount the extra
> partitions, like /home, /usr, etc after the filesystem structure is
> already created in chapter 6? That way if you mess up a package and it
> installs into /usr instead of /tools/usr you can see it immediately.

Little difficult if you're going to have a separate partition for /usr -
you create all the directories under usr, then mount a filesystem on top
of them *cringe*.

> Chapter 6:
>
> Either add an "Now logout back to your host system" at the end of
> chapter 5 or the beginning of chapter 6 to clear up the ambiguity of who
> is exactly supposed to run those first commands.

You should actually return to your root user from your "lfs" user at this
point, but yes, point taken.

> Populating dev will throw up an fstab missing warning, maybe a note
> saying this is normal so people might not get worried.

Yeah, this is a harmless warning, but you're probably right.  Please open
a bugzilla entry for this at http://bugs.linuxfromscratch.org, so this
doesn't get lost in the depths of the -dev archives.

> Grub fails the tests because of ufs2, and using the configure option
> --disable-ufs2 still does nothing to fix this. Probably an upstream
> issue, but I thought I would mention it here as a note saying it will
> probably fail the tests on that point might be in order.

Didya check the archives?  This was discussed a while back on one of the
lists, it comes about because something is too big when it gets compiled,
it's a non-issue for most people, really, since they don't use ufs
filesystems, but please go ahead and open a bugzilla item on this as well,
so we can make sure we put a note in the book!

> Thats all I have, I hope these comments help.

Thanks for the report, and the testing - we can always use testing from
those who may not be 100% familiar with the LFS build process!

-J-