Comments for LFS-Book V6.0-testing-200407022

David George david at thegeorges.us
Sat Jul 31 06:30:32 PDT 2004

Hi, I am very knowledgable in Linux and going through my first LFS build
(using LFS-testing).  I really like the concept of LFS.  See inline for
some comments from a first-time builder.

Jeremy Utley (-J-), LFS Staff wrote:

>>Hello,
>>
>>I am pretty new to LFS, my 3rd or so build, and a capable but not guru
>>level Linux user and just got through the testing version of the book
>>and have some comments/questions that you can hopefully use to improve
>>the book, or set me straight.
>>
>>Packages:
>>
>>Less 382 doesn't exist anywhere on the less project pages, the highest
>>version they have is 381. I had to get 382 from the LFS site. Not too
>>much of a big deal, but may want to either put a note explaining where
>>to get it.
>>

>Same FTP site as 381 as listed on the page, they just have not updated the
>page.

Actually the link on the greenwoodsoftware page is an http link.  It is
not obvious at all that you can copy the link and use 382 instead of
381.  Perhaps post the full link in the LFS book
http://www.greenwoodsoftware.com/less/less-382.tar.gz.

>>m4 1.4.1 doesn't exist on their project pages either, they only have
>>m4<insert letter here>, again had to go out to the LFS site and grab it.
>>A note on the different naming/location maybe in order.
>>

>Same issue as above.

The M4 site is an ftp site and they don't have anything looking like
1.4.1.  The newest version they have is 1.4ppre2.tar.gz.  It is 6 days
newer than 1.4o.tar.gz.

>>grep 2.51 is still not replaced on the gnu ftp server, gone from the
>>days of the server compromise last year. Either a note stating to get it
>>from LFS or if anyone knows anyone who knows anyone with connections to
>>the admins of the gnu site, they might have just forgotten.
>>

>As with all packages, google is your friend.  Put the package name into
>google and you'll find all kinds of mirrors where you can download them.

Yes, this is what needs to be done, but the book gives the links to
where they can be downloaded.  So it should probably be noted in the book.

[snip]

>>May want to use a different font for the code sections, the accents `
>>and the single quotes ' look a lot alike, and to an un-accustomed sed
>>user can get frustrating.
>>

>I myself usually recommend copy/pasting sed expressions, especially the
>more complex ones - typos are too easily made.

Definitely copy and paste.

[snip]

>>Grub fails the tests because of ufs2, and using the configure option
>>--disable-ufs2 still does nothing to fix this. Probably an upstream
>>issue, but I thought I would mention it here as a note saying it will
>>probably fail the tests on that point might be in order.
>>

>Didya check the archives?  This was discussed a while back on one of the
>lists, it comes about because something is too big when it gets compiled,
>it's a non-issue for most people, really, since they don't use ufs
>filesystems, but please go ahead and open a bugzilla item on this as well,
>so we can make sure we put a note in the book!

LFS needs searchable archives.  Going through the archives on the web is
painful at best.  The alternative, downloading the archive and
viewing/searching in {vi,insert editor of choice} is our only real
alternative.  Google doesn't seem to search the LFS lists like it does
some others.

>>Thats all I have, I hope these comments help.
>>

>Thanks for the report, and the testing - we can always use testing from
>those who may not be 100% familiar with the LFS build process!

Thanks for the excellent project, the book is very easy to follow.  I
look forward to completing my build (still in chapter 6).  Hope my
additional comments are helpful.

--
David