Printed book update -- SVN-testing freeze

conathan at conathan at
Fri Jul 30 21:09:07 PDT 2004

> Hi guys,
> The first editorial round on the printed book has been finished and I
> will be incorporating this into SVN soon (soon = when we figure out how
> to go about it).
> The testing branch may seem a good choice at first because the printed
> book will be LFS-6.0 as well. However, there are some changes between
> the online 6.0 and the printed 6.0 book which we have to discuss now
> before I can include all these changes into SVN.
> Things that are different are, for example, a lack of Changelog (it just
> doesn't make sense to have one in the printed edition -- we also omitted
> it from the previous printed book which was LFS-4.1 based). A few things
> are being shuffled around to an Appendix because from a professional
> print point of view it makes more sense (acknowledgements from chapter 1
> is one such example).
> And there is the fact that the copy of LFS-testing we have been editing
> was a copy pulled on July 9th and so any changes made after that day are
> not included in our text updates. Package updates that have taken place
> aren't a big deal, I'll just make sure that our updated text still
> matches the new package version with regards to explanations of command
> line parameters and things like that.
> The edits are currently in an office document (out of convenience due to
> the large sweeping rewrites that had to take place) so it'll take a bit
> of time to incorporate that into XML. Not a big deal, just some
> copy&pasting and re-applying the XML tags in the text.
> On the upside, the text to the LFS book is proper now. It sounds
> uniform, is gramatically correct everywhere and it looks all around very
> professional and of high quality.
> SVN-testing should be frozen soon for updates. I'd freeze it starting
> right now, but I have to hear from you guys if that is feasible and if
> there are any pending important updates that must go into LFS-6.0 (i'm
> still catching up here).
> Assuming there are no pending updates, consider SVN-testing frozen right
> now and the plan of attack is as follows:
> 1) Draft #1 which I have as an Office document will go into SVN-testing.
> This will be completed by August 3rd.
> 2) I render a new book from lfs-testing that includes our text updates
> combined with all the work you guys have done since July 9th
> 3) This second draft will be edited again, which we estimate will take
> about a week (from August 3rd).
> 4) Those last edits go into SVN-testing and PDF and PS files to to the
> publisher for printing.
> When the books are being printed, pre-sale orders can be accepted and
> the online version of LFS-6.0 can be released.
> The current SVN-testing branch isn't suitable for both the printed and
> online book unless some magic can be applied that gets me renderred a
> book that has the contents shifted around a little depending on the
> stylesheet and certain parts omitted entirely. I'm sure it's possible,
> but is it possible in a short timeframe? I'm not sure.
> So what I propose right now in a nutshell, not having all the
> information:
> Freeze SVN-testing. I duplicate the current testing branch to a printed
> branch. I apply draft #1 changes to the printing branch and remove the
> sections that are going to be removed from the book and shuffle other
> sections around (there's not a lot of that, just one or two parts). Then
> we can merge the relevant changes I made to the printed branch into the
> testing branch.
> Another, maybe better idea: copy the testing branch to 6.x branch and
> work from that one. Testing won't be frozen, but 6.x will be frozen and
> we'll keep the 6.x and 6.x-printed branches in sync, then release the
> two books from them at the same time.
> Let me know if there are going to be conflicts or if you have any other
> comments in general.

The bootscripts are going to be modified slightly, no textual changes. 
[just a reminder].

More information about the lfs-dev mailing list