Printed book update -- SVN-testing freeze

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jul 31 10:23:25 PDT 2004


Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> SVN-testing should be frozen soon for updates. I'd freeze it starting
> right now, but I have to hear from you guys if that is feasible and if
> there are any pending important updates that must go into LFS-6.0 (i'm
> still catching up here).

I don't believe there are any pending updates for testing at all; the 
only changes that would be made from this point forward are further 
package upgrades and changes made to fix problems found by testers.

> Another, maybe better idea: copy the testing branch to 6.x branch and
> work from that one. Testing won't be frozen, but 6.x will be frozen and
> we'll keep the 6.x and 6.x-printed branches in sync, then release the
> two books from them at the same time.

I believe if you can give Manuel time to work on XSL that conforms the 
book into your desired layout, you can save a whole lot of time and 
effort because everything can stay in one branch. Personally I see no 
reason to keep "testing" around after 6.0 is released... when it's time 
for another round of testing for a release, a new testing branch can be 
created from 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2 (or whatever is current) and then changes 
from unstable can be pulled into it. Keeping the testing branch around 
just means extra work for changes that get made in the 6.X branch(es) 
because they would have to be merged into testing as well.

My suggestion: assuming that Manual gets some XSL put together that does 
what you want, rename the testing branch to "branch-6.X" (since the LFS 
team has not reorganized their repo), do your work there, and when 6.0 
is ready to be released just tag it as 6.0 (and 6.0-printed, if needed).



More information about the lfs-dev mailing list