Printed book update -- SVN-testing freeze

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jul 31 15:27:58 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 16:08, Jeremy Utley wrote:
> What kind of time frame are we looking at having if we would
> want to include that, G?

The book is sent to the publisher on Wednesday, August 18th if
everything stays on schedule.

>   It wouldn't be anything too fancy, but it could
> at least be made to be able to get online, and include the packages on it,
> since we're in version freeze now.  I would have also liked to have a copy
> of the book HTML on the CD as well, but that might be difficult to
> arrange.

Not necessarily. The CDs aren't created by the printing company. The
publisher has a CD replicator (so they aren't burned with a burner, but
actually pressed like all those CDs you buy in stores). While the books
are being printed, the CDs can be pressed a bit later. Printing the
books might take a week or two  (maybe a bit more, I have to find out
what their timelines and queues are like).

So maybe it's best to create the final CD the same day the PDF/PS files
are shipped off since the book won't change anymore after that content
wise. Then you have a week or so to get the CD finalized (but of course
if you start now, you have nearly a month -- hopefully that's enough
time if you can use existing CDs and just polish them up a bit).

If that's not doable, it'll just be a CD with the source code and stuff
on it (and HTML/text versions of the book as well).